Wednesday, February 23, 2011

First time to 3 miles...

1 mile - 11:50 (fastest so far)
2 mile - 25:04
3 mile - 38:56

Well, not technically the first time I hit 3 miles. I did it the Friday before the 5k in January, then I did it on the actual day of the 5k in January.

The difference with this time was that it started my first week of upping the ante. The first time I wasn't preparing for something that was happening tomorrow. For the next 9.5 weeks, each week I will be running a mile longer than I did the week before. Each week, I will be accomplishing something I have never done before.

So today, I reflect. And wonder.

When I started in November, I underestimated how hard running really was. I figured my body would be sore some days, but I never thought that it would be a struggle to finish a mere 3 miles. Screw that, I never thought it would be a struggle to finish 1 mile. I am having such a hard time establishing a routine and a schedule. My self control has been tested so much.

Through all of that hardship though, I am really proud of myself. I may not be where I thought I would be, but I'm still getting on that treadmill 3 times a week. There was only one time I questioned finishing my run, and that was when someone else questioned it. Even then, it was never an option for me to not finish what I was tasked to do, and for that, I praise God for His strength. I'm praying for continued strength and perseverance.

I do wonder when it will click for me though. I get so excited these days talking about running, and I'm delving into the world of healthy eating again. But when I get on that treadmill, it still hasn't clicked. It's still a countdown for me from the second I start running until I can finally stop.

Another bump in the schedule is my upcoming weekend in New Jersey. I've been really bad about keeping up on my running when I'm there, so I need to get into the right frame of mind NOW.

Thank you to those who have inspired me to keep doing this endeavor. Kind words have never meant so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment