Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Start of the Official Training Schedule

1 mile - 11:56
1.5 miles - 18:15
2 miles - 24:55

I started my official training schedule for the 15k yesterday. It's a 10 week schedule that requires 6 workouts a week - 1 stretching and strengthening day, 2 cross-train days, and 3 running days. I'm feeling motivated right now and very accountable to the schedule, though I'm not going to lie and say I'm not intimidated. My concerns were three-fold:

1) If I want to run farther than the schedule says on any specific day, should I?
2) How do I keep from gaining weight since I'm always so hungry after a workout?
3) 6 workouts a week? Really? And my life happens when?

I'll start with #3. I am NOT a morning person. Those who know me and have to endure my fake tolerance of the world every morning while I quietly mutter mean things under my breath understand how much I am not a morning person. Which basically means there is no way I will be up at 5:30 to go to the gym. Don't judge me. I'm making a grown-up decision, and there's zero way that will become my life, at least right now.

My workouts so far have all been after work, which makes it very difficult to have a life. I work until between 5:30 and 6:30 on most nights and own a home which requires laundry, dishes, cooking, cleaning, trash, grocery shopping, etc. to be done by yours truly. I won't complain too long because, as I was recently reminded, everybody works. However, having a life right now has become something of an unreachable idea. I want to spend time with my family (especially my two nephews who have taught me a rare, amazing type of love), time with my friends, time with my boyfriend, time for myself, time to relax, time to travel, etc., etc., etc. I feel like if I choose to work out, I can only have time for one or two other things and not really allow for everything that makes me happy.

I have to find a happy medium. Working out during lunch on cross-training days? Only do 4 or 5 workouts a week? This has to be worked on. Suggestions are very much accepted, so please let me know if you have any ideas that could help.

Back to #1, thank God for people who have already run Broad Street. Megan told me today that she doesn't think I should run more than what the schedule tells me to, because I'll really regret it once I get to the high mile days. That makes complete sense and I will go with that thought.

#3 is a hard topic for me in the social and emotional realm. #2 is my biggest mental, physical, emotional, everything else obstacle to get over. I started running because I wanted to lose weight. I don't think I'm fat, but I'm close to 30 and it's not as easy to keep the weight off anymore. But man am I hungry. I've always been a dieter and not an exerciser, so my increased appetite is foreign to me and I'm not adjusting to it well. I have changed my diet over the past week or two and feel a little better, so hopefully I can keep the diet up with the exercise.

So away we go. Yesterday was a stretching and strengthening day. I had no idea how to make my way around the weights at the gym, so I did a bunch of random leg machines, 10 minutes on the elliptical and a bunch of abs workout. I was left sore, so I guess it worked.

Today was a 2 mile day, which I completed. Tomorrow is cross-training, after I go to my sister's house for dinner and some family time. Then another run on Thursday. Then Friday is a day off.

LET'S DO THIS!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment