Monday, January 31, 2011

No Pain, No Gain

1.5 miles - 23:33
2 miles - 32:07

Dude, my knee hurts.

I find it ironic that I have something that could loosely be called "runner's knee" considering my inability to call myself a runner. I have taken the title "runner" and have put it on a pedestal - an elitist club of people who can get somewhere fast; who can put one foot in front of the other continuously for seconds, minutes, hours on end; who look fresh and dewy after a long run rather than bright red, dripping with sweat and snot, and bent over trying to catch the breath they lost within the first few minutes of hitting the pavement.

Unfortunately, I do believe my goal of getting into this elitist club called being a "runner" has been my first downfall. I've been playing head games with myself, striving to become an athlete and a runner. I've been so focused on getting to a certain time and being able to run more than walk, I haven't been taking care of myself. After I ran on Sunday, I didn't stretch like I was told to do. I got on the treadmill on Tuesday and pushed harder than I should have done. And I didn't go back to the gym again until today, almost a week later.

I realized today though, that as soon as I started training a few months ago, I became an athlete and a runner. I should be striving to be a better athlete and a faster runner. That means stretching before and after each run, drinking enough water throughout the day, and making sure I have protein before my workouts to get me through. These things aren't a big deal and they aren't major changes to my day or life.

I WILL NOT ALLOW MYSELF TO SABOTAGE MY BODY SO I CAN'T REACH MY GOAL

You read it. I'm now held accountable.

I got on the treadmill and tried to run, but my knee felt like it was giving out every time I came down on it. I stayed on that treadmill though for two miles and I walked it as fast as I could.

Unless Mother Nature derails my plans, I will back in the gym tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment